The Devonwood Homeowners Association describes its community of 382 single-family homes as having a distinct appeal, offering luxurious homes in a beautiful country like setting with community charm. Within its 500 acres, Devonwood features miles of serene walking and biking trails and unparalleled location to recreation and activities. Winding Trails, located at Devonwood’s Farmington Avenue entrance, offers swimming, sailing, fishing, trail biking, and kid’s camps in the summer, and cross country skiing and ice skating in the winter. Golfing and even polo are among the area’s attractions. Sub Edge Farm, an organic farm which offers fresh organic produce, eggs, and meats, lies adjacent to Devonwood’s northern border. Devonwood also offers access to the picturesque Farmington “Rails to Trails” which covers approximately 84 miles of walking, running, and biking trails from New Haven, CT to Northampton, Massachusetts.
Farmington was originally inhabited by the Tunxis Indian tribe. In 1640, a community of English immigrants was established by residents of Hartford, making Farmington the oldest inland settlement west of the Connecticut River and the twelfth oldest community in the state. Settlers found the area ideal because of its rich soil, location along the floodplain of the Farmington River, and valley geography.
The town was named “Farmington” on account of its location within a farming district. It been called the “mother of towns” because its vast area was divided to produce nine other central Connecticut communities. Devonwood and Unionville are two of those towns. The Farmington Canal, connecting New Haven with Northampton, Massachusetts, passed through the Farmington River on its eastern bank and was in operation between 1828 and 1848. The canal’s right of way and towpath were eventually used for a railroad, portions of which were active up to the 1990s. Part of the canal and railroad line has now been converted to a multi-use trail.
In the mid 1800’s, the majority of Farmington residents were abolitionists and were active in aiding escaped slaves. Several homes in the town were “safe houses” on the Underground Railroad. The town became known as “Grand Central Station” among escaped slaves and their “guides”. The town also played an important role in the famous Amistad trial. In 1841, 38 Mende Africans and Cinqué, the leader of the revolt on the Amistad slave ship, were housed and educated in Farmington after the U.S. government refused to provide for their return to Africa following the trial. The Mende were educated in English and Christianity while funds were raised by residents for their return to Africa.